This article or section contains information about a video game that is still in the planning stages or in development.
This article may contain speculative or non-definitive elements, to be corrected or attributed.
He's my brother, and I would die for him.
A Plague Tale: Requiem is a narrative-driven, action-adventure survival horror stealth video game in development by Asobo Studio and published by Focus Entertainment.
A Plague Tale: Requiem is the direct sequel to A Plague Tale: Innocence, and sees players embark with an older Amicia de Rune and her brother, Hugo, on an intense new quest for hope, as a terrifying curse hunts them down.
A Plague Tale: Requiem is scheduled to release in 2022, October 18, for Microsoft Windows, the PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and S. The game will be available through Xbox Game Pass from day one for consoles, Windows, and Cloud.
After escaping their devastated homeland, Amicia and Hugo travel far south, to new regions and vibrant cities. There, they attempt to start a new life and control Hugo's curse. But, when Hugo's powers reawaken, death and destruction return in a flood of devouring rats. Forced to flee once more, the siblings place their hopes in a prophesized island that may hold the key to saving Hugo.
After the original game's finale to a story of resilience, players will embark on the journey's second chapter, following Amicia and her brother, Hugo, with a touch of maturity on a perilous new quest, doing whatever it takes to survive a brutal, uncaring world. The action seems to take place some time after the events of its predecessor, with the story now set in the south of France.
- Amicia de Rune (🇬🇧 Charlotte McBurney, 🇨🇵 Léopoldine Serre) – The protagonist. The eldest child of the de Rune household, trained by her father in the art of hunting, who has had little contact with her brother while they were growing up, though Amicia knows little of what his illness even is. Following the incursion of the Inquisition into their home, she and her brother are forced to flee through the war-torn, plague-ridden, and rat-infested countryside of France.
- Hugo de Rune (🇬🇧 Logan Hannan, 🇨🇵 Cécile Gatto) – The deuteragonist. Amicia's junior by ten years, who suffers from a congenital malady and has lived the entirety of his five years of life in jaundiced isolation. Hugo has little knowledge of the outside world, but he prefers its dangers to his previous confinement. When catastrophe has struck, it falls on his sister to seek a cure for his "illness," while the Inquisition hunts him down.
- Béatrice de Rune (🇬🇧 Katherine Pageon, 🇨🇵 Barbara Tissier) – An alchemist and noblewoman by marriage, she is the wife of Robert de Rune and mother of Amicia and Hugo.
- Lucas (🇬🇧 Edan Hayhurst, 🇨🇵 Kaycie Chase) – An apprentice to Laurentius, who taught him alchemy and medicine. When his ailing mentor is killed in an accident, he aims to cure Hugo himself.
Combat plays a more pronounced role in Requiem. The characters will use a variety of tools and supernatural powers in their struggle for survival.
On September 21, 2021, Focus Entertainment initiated a call to the community to test A Plague Tale: Requiem through two test sessions. The duration of each of the "halves," according to classified information, is eight hours; thus, the entire storyline of A Plague Tale: Requiem can be completed in sixteen hours.
Development of the game began soon after the release of its predecessor. Although initially a sequel was not announced, rumors quickly circulated about a second opus which would already be in development. The game is therefore developed for three years by Asobo Studio, which now has more than 250 members. The studio also has its own motion-capture division and its own graphics engine. This new opus retains the same creative team as the previous one: same screenwriter, same directors and same composer.
Requiem was announced on June 13, 2021. A first look at the trailer appeared at the Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase. A new trailer was released in December 2021, at The Game Awards 2021 ceremony. During the 2022 edition of the Summer Game Fest, more precisely during the Tribeca Games Showcase, a making-of of the game is unveiled; one that reveals new footage from the game as well as short gameplay footage and behind the scenes design of the game.
Requiem will be skipping previous generation hardware and coming exclusively to next-generation platforms, namely the Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, PlayStation 5, and PC. The game will also be released on Nintendo Switch as a Cloud Version. In addition, Microsoft has confirmed that the game will be available on Xbox Game Pass at launch.
- Bloody Disgusting – "A Roundup of the Horror Game Highlights From This Year's Showcases" by King, Andrew. Published June 16, 2021. Retrieved October 25, 2021.
- Dexerto – "A Plague Tale: Requiem" by Bergin, Lauren. Published June 14, 2021. Retrieved October 25, 2021.
- GamesRadar+ – "A Plague Tale: Requiem is coming to Nintendo Switch via cloud-based streaming" by Dane, Patrick. Published & retrieved June 14, 2021.
- VGC – "A Plague Tale: Requiem will be on Game Pass at launch" by Scullion, Chris. Published June 13, 2021. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Xbox Wire – "A Plague Tale: Requiem - Creating a New Setting for Amicia and Hugo" by Renard, Sébastien. Published June 12, 2022. Retrieved June 14, 2022.
- Aroged – "The duration of A Plague Tale: Requiem will be about sixteen hours" by Aroged. Published September 21, 2021. Retrieved October 25, 2021.
- XboxSquad.fr – "Asobo Studio travaille déjà sur A Plague Tale 2 pour une sortie en 2022" (Trans. from French: "A Plague Tale 2 currently under development at Asobo Studio"). Published December 3, 2019. Retrieved December 19, 2019.
- ActuGaming – "A Plague Tale : Requiem dévoile ses coulisses dans un making-of lors du Tribeca Games Showcase" (Trans. from French: "A Plague Tale: Requiem goes behind the scenes in a making-of during the Tribeca Games Showcase"). Published June 10, 2022. Retrieved June 14, 2022.
- Bloody Disgusting – "'A Plague Tale Requiem' Announced For Xbox Series And PC For 2022" by Wilson, Mike. Published June 13, 2021. Retrieved October 25, 2021.
- Shacknews – "A Plague Tale: Requiem gets gameplay reveal at The Game Awards 2021" by Erskine, Donovan. Published December 9, 2021. Retrieved June 14, 2022.
- jeuxvideo.com – "A Plague Tale Requiem s'offre un making-of. Un trailer à venir dans le Xbox Games Showcase?" (Trans. from French: "A Plague Tale Requiem offers a making-of. A trailer to come in the Xbox Games Showcase?"). Published June 10, 2022. Retrieved June 14, 2022.